- Unless otherwise stated all swing dance classes take place in the Cricket Club, near Fitzgeralds park. Keep an eye out for a small green gate on the right hand side of the road.
- No partner or experience is required to join any of our Level 1 beginner swing dance classes.
- Leads are generally male and follows are generally female. However, there are many female leads and male follows, so do not be surprised to find yourself dancing with someone of the same gender.
- Everyone must sign in for every class. This is to ensure compliance with fire regulations.
- Please give yourself enough time to sign in and change before class begins.
- We rotate partners regularly in class and try our best to keep the lead/follow balance as even as possible.
- It is advisable to wear comfortable shoes; flat with a slippy sole if possible.
- You do not need any prior dance experience to join our beginner classes.
- Dancing can be tiring- you are welcome to bring water/snacks along to class. If at any stage you feel unwell, please notify the instructors or take a rest and you can rejoin the class at any time.
- People of all dance experience attend our classes – therefore there are people of all levels, learning styles and background. Whilst we encourage people trying to figure something out together in class, we ask that you be patient with your partner and first concentrate on your own dancing before your partner’s.
- A note on feedback – don’t offer it unsolicited. Please be respectful of your partner and the fact that you may not have all the answers -if in doubt ask us in class or call us over.
Social Dance Etiquette:-
We live in civilised times, in a civilised city, therefore…
- Always ask someone for a dance, be it a lead or follow – dragging someone across the dance floor is not acceptable!
- Every person has a right to politely refuse a dance, please don’t take it personally there could be many reasons for this.
- Don’t forget to thank your partner for the dance.
- Swing dancing is an energetic and expressive dance, accidents can happen. Should you bump into another person during your dance please, stop check that they are ok, and apologise.
- Air Steps or Aerials are not permitted on the social dance floor. You risk injury to yourself, your dance partner and other people. These should be constrained for performances which should have the consent of all parties.
- Dipping can also be dangerous. Please keep this to a minimum and again consent from each partner. The fundamental principle for dipping is that both parties always have their own weight underneath them. Follows throwing themselves into a dip or leads dramatically tipping over a follow will lead to injury.
- Dancing is a great way to learn a new skill, have fun and meet new people. However we try and create a safe, fun and enjoyable space for dancing, thus; any inappropriate behaviour or harassment (verbal, physical, physiological or emotional) will not be tolerated in Swing Dance Cork classes or socials!